I’ve always enjoyed meeting people who have just moved to Anchorage, or hearing people’s stories that open with, “I came to Alaska for a visit. That was thirty years ago.” I love hearing about how they ended up here, why they stayed, and what they think of our city.
Recently, I’ve met all sorts of wonderful people who have moved or are moving to Anchorage.
It’s especially fun to hear from people who are thinking about moving up, or know they’re moving up and want the inside scoop on real estate (all I have are very strong opinions… so if you want those, let me know!).
Most people who get in touch with me are from outside, but a couple are from other parts of Alaska and thinking about moving to town. Anchorage’s population is projected to pass the 300,000 mark this year, which is pretty great, especially if the new residents are the same caliber of people I’ve met during the last year or so.
Here are a few examples of new residents or soon-to-be new residents:
- A professional skier, founding director of SheJumps (an organization that strives to increase female participation in outdoor activities), and creator of the film production company Unicorn Picnic (working on the first community-driven all-female big mountain ski film named Pretty Faces). She says she loves it here and wants to stay – I hope she does!
- A young family who is relocating for work at the Alaska Native Medical Center and is slightly anxious but getting excited about coming to Alaska.
- An army reservist and physical therapist who is an amazing athlete and up for all sorts of AK adventures – not a recent transplant but one that I’m extremely happy about so I had to add her!
- The incredibly talented Google 360 photographer who is excited to explore our state, and shares his knowledge with our small business community.
- And old friend whose husband scored a great job in town will be joining our city in a few months, adorable kiddos in tow! Her close friends already moved up around six months ago. Both families are from Juneau. Big loss for JNU, great for ANC! We’ll take ’em with open arms!
- An intrepid adventurer who’s been dreaming of Alaska and finally found a job here – albeit in Wasilla, but hopefully she’ll coming to Anchorage regulary to mix it up a bit!
- Our new Anchorage Public Library Director – it’s been about a year, but I’m still regularly grateful she chose us! I think great kayaking might have had something to do with it? She been doing good things for our libraries…
- The new Executive Director of State Council on the Arts – super smart, super interesting, super woman. Brings a great perspective to our art scene, and also her uber-talented girlfriend who lends her skills to creating memorable exhibits at the museum. They recently passed their one year anniversary as well!
- An urban planning aficionado/senate staffer/commercial fisherman who wants to help shape the future of Anchorage.
A pretty great line-up, right?
To all the current and future new arrivals to town, I hope you love it here as much as I do!